Monday, January 4, 2010

Leisurely Woman's Daybook



Outside my window...so so so very COLD!!!! I'm exerting every effort to avoid stepping out the door!

From the kitchen...Too-Easy Cinnamon Rolls. Super delicious and seriously simple. Instructions to follow later this week.

Around the house...everytime I have to dust thousands of books and the shelves whereupon they reside, I covet a home library...a hermetically-sealed room...and floor-to-ceiling shelves WITH DOORS that keep out any dust particles which happen to penetrate the seal!

 

A favorite thing...this "listening" website: lastfm.com

 

I am thinking...about my dear friend, Veronica, and her 16-year-old son who just buried their husband/father today.

 

I am wearing...a tailored blouse and dress pants. Very business-like.

 

I am hearing...Eastmountainsouth. I first heard this song in the background of the movie "Lucky Number Seven" (a fun, but relatively shallow and predictable romantic comedy starring "McDreamy" and Brad Paisley's wife...I don't even remember HER name. Oops.)

I am reading...I am re-reading Harry Potter: The Philosopher's Stone and Austen's Pride & Prejudice. I am reading, for the first time, at my youngest son's recommendation, The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie.

 

I am creating...a baby blanket. After losing our baby last fall, I didn't have the heart to keep crocheting, but picked it back up this week. Maybe I'll actually finish it by the time I have a grandchild!

 

I am thankful for...butter. I mean, seriously. When's the last time you ate a truly remarkable dish in which butter was not a significant ingredient?

 

Plans for my week...I hope to head up to St. Luke's hospital this week and check out their newly-opened center for adults with Down's Sydrome. The facility was underwritten by The Pujols' Family Foundation and is designed to provide quality medical services for those who are too old to see their pediatricians. I hope to be impressed, because it really is difficult to find doctors who have a particular understanding of the challenges facing adults with Down's. I have found, with Riesa, that even something as simple as getting an x-ray can be immensely challenging - the atmosphere, setting and pace of a typical imaging lab are not at all designed to meet special needs. My experience has also been that the doctors operate within standard protocols (testing and medications) without particular consideration of the difficulties posed by Down's.

 

Not only do I hope this can be a resource for Riesa, but I'm wondering about opportunities for me to volunteer. We'll see!

A photo/video I am sharing...There simply can't be anything more beautiful than an emerald-cut diamond...well...maybe 3 emerald-cut diamonds!!

4 comments:

Lori Waggoner said...

My personal jeweler (and friend) sent me this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370313268078&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

WOW! Check it out!

MeeMaw YaYa said...

Thanks for the lastfm link. I meant to see if I could get it through the school server firewall, but I forgot to do that today. It would be a convenient way to play some nice music from the circulation desk.

AND get going on posting that cinnamon roll recipe, okay? :-)

Alicia said...

That's very cool about St. Luke's opening that facility. Funny how health care is so "bad" in this country, a non-profit hospital can afford to open a highly specialized facility like that to serve such a small minority. Evidently, they expect it to be worthwhile, both financially and otherwise.

Lori Waggoner said...

MeeMaw...I'm on it, sista!

Alicia, great point!