Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lies My Father Told Me: 2

I'll never forget the day my Daddy first fronted this idea to me.  It was a rainy day and folks were, naturally, running from their cars into the building to avoid getting soaked.  My Daddy said something like this to me:

"You know, it doesn't make any sense to run through the rain.  You have to cover the same distance whether you run or walk, so when you run, you still run through the same number of raindrops that you would if you walked."

Well, apparently, I have not always been a stronghold of logical thinking because I remember puzzling over that one for hours.  I could talk myself into it...then talk myself out of it...then talk myself back into it again.  Over and over and over!  For years I debated with myself, until I finally concluded...HE WAS RIGHT!!   

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I assume precise post. Especially the title attracted me to be familiar with the whole story.

paul.schmidt said...

Mythbusters tv show did a test on this and deducted you actually get wetter running. They had controlled rain amounts and weighed the clothes before and after walking and running the same distance.
Always trust your dad...unless he is telling you about hidden Indians by the road.

Lori Waggoner said...

Oooh, Paul. Fascinating!

Check out this link from The Mister:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4562132.stm

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

paul.schmidt said...

Did Steve understand that link? I was lost in it and will have to have Mr. Numbers explain it to Mr. Pictures.

Lori Waggoner said...

Steve didn't understand it, but I did. :-) I'll illustrate it for you on Sunday...