Friday, January 8, 2010

Lies My Father Told Me: 1

As an adult, I discovered that this is a common lie...told to many children by many fathers.  That didn't ease the crushing blow I felt when I first realized it was a lie.

Remember those frequent road signs which warned you to WATCH OUT FOR FALLING ROCK?  Well, my father told me that Falling Rock was an Indian (that was in the day when we could still call them that without inciting indignation!  Ah, I sometimes long for the pre-PC days!!), who sometimes bolted unexpectedly out of the woods and jumped onto passing cars.  He may or may not be looking for a scalp or two. 

I'm curious.  How many of you heard this from your Papas?  And did you believe them?  I think I always had a slight misgiving about the veracity of his tale, but I was never quite sure.

5 comments:

Angie B. said...

Funny!! Never heard that one before.

Anonymous said...

No, my dad didn't say that. But it is funny. Did it help keep you in line? Joanie

luvnmyfive said...

My parents did tell me a story about an Indian but not the same one. Theirs was much longer. I liked it. My parents had a fun story for nearly everything. :-)

Lori Waggoner said...

Joanie...I wasn't the kind of kid that had to be kept in line! I reserved all my trouble for adulthood...you know, to kinda give my parents a break. ;-) I think his intention was to entertain rather than terrify...I think!

Donna, I'd love to hear their story some time!

Angie, too bad yours are too old to pull this one off, huh? :-)

Anonymous said...

My favorite sign is:

"SLOW CHILDREN PLAYING"

(Talk about political [in]correctness!!)