Tuesday, July 13, 2010

De Profundis

I just can't help myself!  Here is another beautiful offering - a confession of faith -  from Ms. Browning:









De Profundis
(a selection from Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

The face which, duly as the sun,
Rose up for me with life begun,
To mark all bright hours of the day
With hourly love, is dimmed away -
And yet my days go on, go on.

The tongue, which, like a stream, could run
Smooth music from the roughest tone,
And every morning with "Good day"
Make each day good, is hushed away -
And yet my days go on, go on.

That heart which, like a staff, was one
For mine to lean and rest upon,
The strongest on the longest day
With steadfast love, is caught away -
And yet my days go on, go on.

The past rolls forward on the sun
And makes all night.  O dreams begun,
Not to be ended!  Ended bliss,
And life that will not end in this!
My days go on, my days go on.

I sit and knock at Nature's door,
Heart-bare, heart-hungry, very poor,
I knock and cry, "Undone, undone!"
Is there no help, no comfort - none?
My vacant days go on, go on.

A Voice reproves me thereupon,
More sweet than Nature's when the drone
Of bees is sweetest, and more deep
Than when rivers overleap
The shuddering pines and thunder on.

God's Voice, not Nature's!  Night and noon
He sits upon the great white throne
And listens for the creature's praise.
What babble we of days and days?
The Day-Spring He, whose days go on.

By anguish which made pale the sun,
I hear Him charge his saints that none
Among His creatures anywhere
Blaspheme against Him with despair,
However darkly days go on.

Take from my head the thorn-wreath brown!
No mortal grief deserves that crown.
O supreme Love, chief misery,
The sharp regalia are for THEE
Whose days eternally go on.

For us, - whatever's undergone,
Thou knowest, willest what is done.
Grief may be joy misunderstood;
Only the Good discerns the good.
I trust Thee while my days go on.

Whatever's lost, it first was won;
We will not struggle nor impugn.
Perhaps the cup was broken here,
That Heaven's new wine might show more clear.
I praise Thee while my days go on.

I praise Thee while my days go on;
I love Thee while my days go on;
Through dark and dearth, through fire and frost,
With emptied arms and treasure lost,
I thank Thee while my days go on.

And having in Thy life-depth thrown
Being and suffering (which are one),
As a child drops his pebble small
Down some deep well and hears it fall
Smiling - so I.  THY DAYS GO ON.

2 comments:

Angie B. said...

Wow, what a great poem. Thanks for posting it.

At first I read the meaning of this stanza wrong....

"By anguish which made pale the sun,
I hear Him charge his saints that none
Among His creatures anywhere
Blaspheme against Him with despair,
However darkly days go on."

My initial impression was that she was saying those who expressed despair were NOT blaspheming, when their days grew terribly dark. I suppose that misreading came about because of the sermon we had this past Sunday (guest pastor Dave Hatcher delivered a wonderfully encouraging sermon on confidence in God). He noted that the Psalms were full of despair-like cries and even accusations against God (How long, Lord? Where are you? Have you forgotten? etc). He says that since the Psalms teach us how to pray, we shouldn't be afraid to pray in just that way at times (not, of course, neglecting the reverence and humility that should always be a part of our coming before the Lord).

I suppose, though, that Browning's despair is more giving up all hope--walking by sight, not faith. In that case, it would be a sort of blasphemy.

Anyway, I'm bookmarking this one to read again later. Thanks again.

Lori Waggoner said...

Angie, first of all, I'm glad to know someone actually reads these poems...I always wonder!

One of the reasons I loved this one is that it is very Psalm-like, in that she expresses her own grief (it is speculated that she wrote this about losing her brother...they were in a water accident and he drowned while she survived) but like the Psalmists, she doesn't end in abject despair, but with a declaration of hope.

She does what David and others do...she releases her sorrow, then "talks to herself" back into the right frame of mind about her grief and about her Lord.

Sort of like Psalm 42 (and dozens of others!): "Why are you cast down, O my soul? Hope in God!"

Thanks for the comment...