Friday, July 30, 2010

Vacation Time

Vacation Time = Reading Time.  What else is a girl gonna do who's holed-up in a cabin for 10 days with the In-Laws?  Well, besides hike through the mountains, lay on the beach, ride bikes and go boating on Lake Tahoe.  But other than THAT?

I make my choices carefully.  This time I have opted to take several books which have been given or suggested to me in the last year:

The Hole in Our Gospel - this was recommended by an old friend, who apparently thinks I need to be challenged spiritually.  Thanks a lot, Richard. 

The idea behind The Hole in Our Gospel is quite simple.  It's basically the belief that being a Christian, or follower of Jesus Christ, requires much more than just having a personal and transforming relationship with God.  It also entails a public and transforming relationship with the world.

Failure is Not an Option - Gene Kranz's account of his years at NASA.  A birthday gift from LAST summer that I'm just now getting to.  Thank you, Bill & Barb. 

Kranz reveals little-known details to demonstrate the leadership, discipline, trust, and teamwork that made the space program a success.

Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend - a compilation of stories, essays and poems written by women on the topic of baseball.  Also recommended...by a FB friend whom I have never met.  Thank you, Bill Feil.

And finally:  I can't believe I'm admitting this publicly, but I have begun reading The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo - A NYT bestseller which was recommended to me by...shall I say...an elder gentleman who knows I like to read.  Thank you, "Grandfather", for broadening my literary horizons. 

So, wish me happy reading and know that you probably won't hear from me for a week or two, unless I unexpectedly have access to a computer while I'm there!

No comments: