Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wordsmith Wednesday

I think it's high time I offered another "contest."  So here goes.  I will give a set of words which have a Latin root in common.  You give me the Latin word and its basic meaning.  Simple enough...

Those who answer correctly will have their names put into a "hat" and one of my sons will draw the winner, who will receive a Peter Leithart book of their choice.

1.  incantation, recant, canticle, cantata, descant

2.  remote, emotion, remove, motivate, motif

3.  impugn, repugnant, pugnacious

4.  denomination, ignominy, nominal, nomenclature, nominate

5.  emit, remission, non-committal, premise, dismissal, commissary, missionary

6.  speculate, retrospective, perspicuous, species, despicable

7.  regalia, region, regulate, regent, regicide

8.  primogenitor, genocide, engender, regenerate, generic

9.  lucent, elucidate, luciferous, illustrious, lustrous

10.  factory, facsimile, faculty, facilitate

4 comments:

timmmdogg said...

can I play, or am I disqualified?

timmmdogg said...

I've posted my answers to your facebook e-mail.

Lori Waggoner said...

Of course your answers were all right...so I'll give it a couple more days and see if anyone else plays along.

Do you already own all of Leithart's books?

timmmdogg said...

nope.