Monday, July 26, 2010

A Morbid Fascination

As I've revealed previously, I have a morbid fascination with true stories of disasters-at-sea...probably because it seems to me one of the most frightening ways to leave this world.  Besides the well-known story of the Titanic, I've enjoyed The Lusitania, The Sea Shall Embrace Them, Left for Dead, and my all-time favorite, In Harm's Way

I just added another of these heartrending stories to my repertoire:  The Perfect Storm.  Even though I wouldn't call the author's style riveting, I found myself unable to put it down until I knew exactly what happened to all these characters to whom I had been introduced.  Amidst the fear and tragedy of these events,  man sometimes reveals his cowardice, but more often we see him engage in great acts of courage and sacrifice.  

I can not compare the book with the movie, which I have not yet seen, but I think I will see it now.  Even if it doesn't remain faithful to the book, I already know it has at least one redeeming quality: George Clooney.  I know.  I know.  Trivial and shallow.  But we are all entitled to a weakness or two, right?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing to do with George, but your 'at sea' fettish will be fed again. "Ten degrees of Reckoning" by Hester Rumpert. Excellent, but heart wrenching.

Anonymous said...

YES, only a weakness or two--no more than that. ;-) Joanie

Angie B. said...

>> I have a morbid fascination with true stories of disasters-at-sea <<

Me too! I really enjoyed The Perfect Storm, particularly how it switched back and forth between the story and the science behind hurricanes/ship buoyancy, etc. The movie was good, too. I'll have to check out some of the other books you mentioned.

Not exactly a disaster-at-sea book, but another great disaster story is "Apollo 13" (originally "Lost Moon") by Jim Lovell (astronaut) and Jeffrey Kluger (writer). I've read it at least three times and still haven't gotten tired of it.

Lori Waggoner said...

Anonymous - I take a recommendation more seriously if I know the source. Care to disclose your identity?

Lori Waggoner said...

Joanie - 2 is a little stingy, don't ya think?

Lori Waggoner said...

Angie - I remember when you talked about The Perfect Storm...which is what moved it from the dark recesses of my bookshelf onto my short list! I tried to find a way to give you some credit for my reading it, but couldn't figure out a way to slip you in. ;)

Funny you should mention Apollo 13...I am also reading "Failure is Not an Option" - Gene Kranz' accounting of his years with NASA, inlcuding the events of Apollo 13. I'll eventually check out your recommendation as well!

Angie B. said...

No need to give "credit" for someone having mentioned a book worth reading in the past! I also read and enjoyed "Failure is Not an Option" (I have a whole shelf-full of NASA books), but "Apollo 13" is way more fascinating, IMO.

JWC said...

Hey Lori,

If you want to expand your disasters-at-sea genre slightly (to include military-engagements and/or heroes-at-sea), you should consider reading:

Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, by James Hornfischer

Assault on the Liberty, by James Ennes

Both are great -- the first for pure entertainment; the second for historical enlightenment...

Incidentally, Gene Kranz was one of the guest speakers who visited Air Command and Staff College while I was there -- awesome story!

Lori Waggoner said...

Angie...I know I don't OWE credit, but I wanted you to know that I remembered you writing about it! Otherwise I would have put it off for longer than I already had!

Lori Waggoner said...

Jason,

Thanks for the suggestions. I just put them both in my Amazon cart!