Monday, July 12, 2010

From Gratitude to Glory


When did Satan fall?  The Scriptures don't tell us explicitly when this happened, and veteran theologians have not reached a concensus on the matter.  Although I was taught that his fall occurred at some point before Genesis 1, I have heard a very strong case made that his temptation of Adam and Eve likely was his fall.

It has been suggested that Lucifer was sent as a ministering spirit to Adam and Eve in the garden (that is the role of angels in the Bible, right?), but that he was envious of the position Man had been given as Vice-regent over all creation. 

Remember Satan's sinful declaration that he himself would be like God and his deceptive promise to Adam that he too could be like God (to which Adam should have promptly replied, "I already AM like Him!  I am created in His Image!").  Satan rebelled by grasping for a position which he had not been given.  He had not been created as a ruler in The Image of God, so he attempted to simultaneously exalt himself and bring low the one who had been given that right.

It makes sense to me that his seduction of Man was his fall...the very moment at which he shook his fist in the face of God and announced, "I will be like The Most High...and that Adam guy will not!"

The fall of Satan and of Man run parallel in that both are tempted by the desire to grasp more than what had been given to them.  Both were given glorious tasks for which they had been specifically designed, yet both were discontent.  Both failed to serve.  Satan failed to serve Adam and Eve.  Adam failed to serve the creation.  As God's Imager, he was to serve and guard the portion he had been alloted and, gradually, as he communed with God in the sanctuary, he would have matured in wisdom so that his rule would have increased.  That is, he would have been transformed from glory to glory as he beautified and transformed God's creation from glory to glory.  But he desired to have it all...NOW.

Bottom line:  both Lucifer and Adam were thankless.  Instead of expressing gratitude for the glories with which they had been gifted, they resented that which had been withheld and determined to grasp it, independent of their Creator.

Do you see your own reflection in this mirror?  I know I do.  How often have I secretly accused God of withholding from me that which I know would be good for me?  At the heart of the matter is the sin of ingratitude which leads to an "I will have it," mentality which inevitably leads us to act independently of God.  "When I depend on You, You fail me...therefore, I will, apart from you, take hold of that which You should have given me."

That is the anatomy of a faithless, unbelieving heart and is at the core of all our wanderings.  Of course, we rarely take the brazen fist-shaking approach and all too often we don't even recognize this attitude in ourselves until we have grasped...and fallen...and been cast out.

Thank God for the Good News of the Seed who has crushed the Serpent's head and who never fails to hear us when we find ourselves - again and again - outcast and alone, pleading for deliverance. 

Thank God that the angel with flaming sword in hand, barring the way to His presence, has been replaced by free and open access to the throne where sits the mediating Man, Christ Jesus!

May the grace and truth of this Gospel restore in us the thankfulness of heart that leads us to depend on Him to provide everything we need...when we need it.  May we have the grace to serve humbly and wait patiently for Him to mature us and transform us from glory to glory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... lots to think about.

~Susan G.

Lori Waggoner said...

Susan, do I know who you are? If so, forgive me...I'm drawing a blank on what the "G" might stand for.

Anonymous said...

Lori,

No, you don't know me. :) I've been reading your blog for over two years, so I'm not sure how I found it. Do we have a mutual friend in Misty Heifner? I've commented here and there on your blog before, but usually under my blogger identity. I really enjoy your blog and apologize for not commenting more.

I'd sign out with my blogger id now, if I could remember it! It's been way too long since I've blogged. :) Here's a link. http://mutinyonthehighsea.blogspot.com/