Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Salted-Chocolate Toffee

Before you say, "Ewww!" let me just tell you...this stuff is really, really good!

I received my inspiration upon seeing a tin of "Sea-Salt Caramel Bark" at World Market a couple weeks ago, but for which I was unwilling to pay $10! That very evening, a friend offered me some dark chocolate with sea-salt in it (also from World Market)...WOW! It was nothing short of amazing!

So...I determined to try my own hand at combining three of my favorite flavors: toffee, chocolate and salt! If you've ever had cracker-candy made with saltine crackers (my favorite way), you've already experienced that combo...and unless you have some malfunctioning neurons in your cerebellum, I KNOW you liked it. You'll like this too.

Salted-Chocolate Toffee

1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar

Melt the butter and whisk in the brown sugar. Boil for 7-12 minutes, stirring constantly (feel free to use your candy thermometer to achieve the right temp...that has never worked for me...I just know what it should look like after several failed attempts to make toffee!).

Pour toffee into a non-stick 9x13 pan. Let sit until hardened (or freeze, if you're in a hurry!).

1 bag chocolate chips (milk or dark...your preference!)

Spread about 3/4 of the chips over top of the toffee. Heat in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes, just until chips are softened. Remove and use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the toffee surface.

Before chocolate is completely hardened, sprinkle generously with coarse sea-salt. Cool. Break into pieces...and chow down! Oh, and be sure to share!

7 comments:

Angie B. said...

I think I want to try this one! I like salty/sweet together, and it sounds easy enough (though I've been known to mess up seemingly foolproof recipes). I assume sea salt can usually be found at a regular grocery store? I've never looked for it before.

Lori Waggoner said...

Yes...sea salt is a fairly common ingredient these days and should be readily available!

Hey...I want to be on the email list for blog...since you moved, I don't get notices anymore. Can you still do that?

Lori (Plopper) said...

This sounds like a good Christmas giveaway idea. I will have to try this recipe. I have never made toffee.... I hope I don't mess it up. lol Thanks for sharing!

Angie B. said...

Lori: Yes, the e-mail subscription changed when I moved my blog. I can't figure out what the direct URL is for getting e-mail updates, but if you go to my blog, you'll see in the center column a field for signing up for e-mail updates.

Lori Waggoner said...

Lori PLOPPER??!! It's only been...what...28 years since we've seen each other? :-) Thanks for stopping by.

Here's the deal with the toffee. Even if you don't cook it long enough for it to harden into toffee, it's still delicious. I've "ruined" many a batch by not letting it get hot enough, which means the caramel stays a little softer than I'd like. Somehow it always gets eaten though!

Hope it works for you!

Lori Waggoner said...

Thanks, Angie! I'll take care of it!

jennifer h said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the blog was cracker candy. Yum. I think I'll give this a try, too. Ooh . . . and maybe I should make some cracker candy while I am at it.