Wednesday, December 2, 2009

For Want of Wit: 8

A couple years back, in the springtime, birds began finding their way inside our chimney. They would end up at the bottom of it, resting on the flue. Whatever way they found to get down, apparently was not sufficient to get back UP! I guess they lack the technology of a Harrier Jet, and can only fly with a forward motion? I don't know.

What I DO know, is that they would panic and flail, stirring up an awful racket which was more-than-a-little disturbing to listen to. Hard-hearted as I can be, I don't like for any creature to suffer...or at least not within my earshot. I hoped the bird(s) would die quickly, but no such luck. After enduring 36 hours of noise, I couldn't take it any more. I decided to grant them their freedom. I had no idea how many birds were in there...it sounded like 2 or 3...but I really didn't know.

So...I propped open the front and back doors of my house, then opened the flue, hoping they'd find their way outside.
Well, let me tell you...THAT was stupid! There is nothing quite as disconcerting as having even ONE frightened, hungry, ash-covered bird flying frantically around a room with mere 8-foot ceilings! CREEEEPY! The walls and ceiling in the family room still have black ash-marks where he rammed into them repeatedly in his attempt to escape.
And I'll tell you this too! The next 3 times birds found their way into the chimney...they died there. I had to sit and listen for days as their frantic chirping and flopping slowly dwindled to mere whimpering pleas for help. When they finally gave up the ghost, I'd open the flue and remove the carcass which tumbled into the ashes. All 3 times. Gross? Yes. But not as stupid as liberating them.

No comments: