Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Dump & Pour

I've decided this would be a good place to deposit a few of my "culinary creations." I must warn you though, that all measurements are approximate, because I tend to cook by the dump-and-pour method. When I like the result, I record what I think I did, hoping to duplicate it in the future. The problem is, I often don't bother getting out my own recipe the next time around, but will once again, dump-and-pour. So if you are not too black-and-white, when it comes to cooking, and are willing to experiment and adjust, then ENJOY!

I'm giving 2 variations of this first recipe. The first is more involved and is what I have done for a crowd, while the second is the one I throw together last minute for my lunch.

Ginger-Mandarin Chicken Salad

(fills 24 dollar rolls or 10-12 large croissants)

In a large bowl, toss together:

5-6 medium chicken breasts - grilled, coarsely chopped in processor

1/2 med red onion - minced

2-3 stalks celery - minced

1 c. pecans - coarsely ground in processor

4 oz. crystallized ginger chips

12 oz. mandarin oranges - drain, pulse 2x in processor, strain and reserve juice

Blend ingredients in food processor:

1/2 - 3/4 c. each: sour cream and real mayo

1/8 - 1/4 c. soy sauce

1/8 - 1/4 c. reserved mandarin juice

1-2 T. ground ginger

1-2 t. salt

1-1 1/2 T. coarse ground pepper

Combine wet and dry ingredients. Let sit for a couple hours or overnight to blend flavors.

*******************************************

Cilantro-Ginger Chicken Salad

(serves 1-2)

Toss in bowl:

1-2 chicken breasts - cooked, coarsely chopped in processor

1/4+ c. drained mandarin oranges

2-4 T. crystallized ginger chips

Blend in food processor:

3-4 heaping spoonfuls of sour cream

1 heaping spoonful of mayo

1/2 c. fresh cilantro (1 handful)

1/4 c. Splenda

1 T. crystallized ginger chips

Blend the wet and dry ingredients. EAT!

Both of these taste great without the bread...just scoop and eat! The second version is delicious over 1/2 an avacado!

No comments: