Monday, September 24, 2007

The Long Walk

In addition to Leepike Ridge, I also finished The Great Gatsby (with which I was not especially impressed, and therefore will not review!) as well as The Long Walk.

The Long Walk is a poignant tale of WWII, detailing one Polish man's journey - a harrowing ordeal of unjustified imprisonment by the Russians, his experience in and finally his escape from a labor camp in Siberia. The scope of gut-wrenching tribulations this man endured is almost unbelievable at times, and his determination to survive in the midst of cruelty and inconceivable hardship is astonishing. Though not a "pleasant" read, the author's voice is surprisingly devoid of bitterness and even rings with hope.

One of the most memorable scenes occured as the men were walking, chained behind a truck, 3000 miles through the vast, frozen Siberian wilderness toward their labor camp near the Arctic Circle. Most of these men had already undergone various degrees of torture and humiliation, sub-zero rides in packed train cars, and were near starvation:

"Somehow someone learned during the second week of the march that it was 24 December. The news went up and down the long, struggling line like the leaping flames of a forest fire. 'It's Christmas Eve,' went the whisper from man to man. Away back behind us there was suddenly a thin, wavering sound. It was odd and startling. It grew in volume and swept towards us. It was the sound of men singing, men singing with increasing power in the wastes of the Siberian wilderness. The mounting song reached us unchecked and engulged us. I was singing and Grechinen was singing. Everybody who had a voice left was joining in. A marching choir of nearly five thousand male voices drowning their despair in a song of praise for the Child who would be born on the morrow."

Of the "older" men who worked beside him in the camp (men in their 40's-50's...he was 25 at the time) the author writes: "...[they] fought to stay young, to work, to live, the men who had lived leisured lives and now, marvellously, displayed the guts to face a cruel new life very bravely. They should have been telling tales to their grandchildren, these oldsters. Instead they spent their day straining and lifting at the great fallen trees, working alongside men who were often half their age. There is a courage which flourishes in the worst kind of adversity and it is quite unspectacular. These men had it in full."

When those who survive the journey finally reach India - after crossing Siberia, the Gobi desert and the Himalayas - they realize, "'We are safe...we are safe...We shall be able to live again.' I thought a little about that. It sounded a wonderful thing to say. All that misery, all that sorrow, the hardship of a whole year afoot, so that we might live again."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone besides me was underwhelmed by Gatsby! If it were up to me, I'd demote it from all reading lists in favor of Tender is the Night. Because I do like Fitzgerald, just not Gatsby.

Lori Waggoner said...

Jandy,
Gatsby,as my first exposure to Fitzgerald, left me less-than-eager to pick up any of his other works. Your recommendation leads me to believe I shouldn't give up just yet! Thanks!

Angie B. said...

It's kind of like Dickens and "Great Expectations"...why in the world English high school teachers introduce Dickens with that one (at least mine did) is beyond me. I find it to be the least interesting of all the Dickens books I've read. Thank goodness I gave him another try.

Is "The Long Walk" a true story?

Anonymous said...

Angie,
Fortunately I introduced myself to Dickens and still haven't read Great Expectations!...although I hope to eventually. I usually start with an author's less popular work...sort of out of rebellion, I think!

The Long Walk claims to be a true story. (I don't mean to shed doubt on its veracity by that wording...I am not aware of it being discredited, but neither have I attempted to verify it.)

Anonymous said...

Definitely don't write off Fitzgerald because of Gatsby. Although I guess it depends on why you didn't like it--I didn't like it because it felt aloof and I didn't connect with it at all. Tender is the Night is really raw and emotional; it's based partially on Fitzgerald's troubled relationship with his wife Zelda (who was in and out of Swiss mental hospitals). It sounds hard to read, but it has so many beautiful parts that I just about filled up a notebook with quotes. It's currently sitting squarely in my top five books ever.

See, I don't like Dickens. I think David Copperfield was the first one I tried, and Hard Times is the only one I've ever finished. Because it was short. Any Dickens suggestions, since I'm encouraging you not to give up on Fitzgerald?

Lori Waggoner said...

Ooooh...a double witness for Tender is the Night...I think I'm gonna have to do it. I ALMOST bought it tonight at B&N, but hesitated - now I wish I hadn't!

What do you mean you don't like Dickens? I had to read that line about 5 times to be sure that I read it correctly! O-K...I haven't read them all because they are quite long, but I enjoyed The Old Curiosity Shop and my favorite is Nicholas Nickelby. I would give Nickelby a try...

Lori Waggoner said...

Wait...what was I thinking? A "double witness"? Both recommendations came from YOU, Jandy! I was thinking Angie had recommended it too...DUH! Forget it, I'm not reading it now.

Angie - care to weigh in on your Dicken's favorites?

Anonymous said...

Another Gatsby non-fan here.

Re: Dickens, I haven't finished one novel I've tried by him. I feel a bit ashamed about that, but there it is.

Thanks for the helpful reviews. "Long Walk" sounds like one I might enjoy.

Angie B. said...

My favorite Dickens books: Our Mutual Friend, Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield, Barnaby Rudge.

I didn't enjoy Great Expectations or Pickwick Papers.

Lori Waggoner said...

Jennifer - I'm shocked and disappointed! Maybe Dickens just isn't for you...sometimes people just don't "click" with certain authors.

Angie - I've never even heard of "Our Mutual Friend"! I'll have to check it out! Thanks for your input!