Friday, September 28, 2007

Island of the Blue Dolphins

I just finished this book this morning. I forced myself to read it because Eric is reading it at school...finally by about chapter 15 (out of 20-some), I was interested enough to keep going out of more than mere obligation.

Mr. O'Dell's story comes off as a sort of slow, lyrical ballad. Although I can offer no concrete criticisms of its literary qualities, and it is a memorable story that will probably remain with me, I never felt fully engaged or delighted. I appreciated the lyrical quality of his storytelling enough that I think I will try his "King's Fifth" and see how that goes.

In the meantime, I just started "Billy Budd" by Melville, and am already enjoying it immensely! There are definitely some quotable lines in this one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just finished I of the B Dolphin and I agree with you that even though it is an amazing story, it moves in a kind of slow and blah way and it is devoid of emotion despight the traumatic things Karana experiences. I wonder sometimes when a man writes a personal story of a woman/girl if there is a disconnect that is hard to overcome-not impossible, but something every writer cannot pull off. The slow and steady, day-in-and-day out of Karana's life is well portrayed, but hmmm...something was missing. Now I am starting Billy Budd.