Wednesday, September 12, 2007

It's Not Big, It's Large

This is the title of my favorite musician's new release!

In spite of those who insist on labeling him "country," the reality is that much of the music performed by Lyle Lovett and His Large Band draws heavily from the blues, jazz, swing, and big band styles. Apparently, this has lead many to mistakenly call them the "Big Band." The album's title is his witty attempt to correct this.

I acquired the album today and listened all the way through a couple of times. My first take: It's Not Great, It's Good. The tone is rather somber...or maybe it's just subdued...I'm not sure.

Highlights include "No Big Deal," "Don't Cry a Tear," the acoustic version of "Up in Indiana" and, of course, the opener "Tickle Toe" which is the only piece that showcases the Large Band. I also enjoyed "South Texas Girl" which features another favorite of mine, Guy Clark. My early favorite: "All Downhill" a catchy little tune, that I interpret as a lighthearted ditty about turning 50. [him, not me :)]

I've been the whole world 'round
I've been up and I've been down
I've been good and I've been bad
Mostly...I've been bad.

I've had an excellent time so far
There's only one thing that I fear
I've been up so long on this lucky star
It could be all downhill from here.

I'm sure the songs I wasn't crazy about will grow on me...he's had very few over the years that I haven't come to like.

I had the great fun of watching Lyle perform from the 6th row at a small St. Louis venue called the Roberts Orpheum Theater, where I celebrated my 40th birthday. Lovett conveys a humble, unassuming charm. He is not a showman, but a great singer-songwriter who has judiciously surrounded himself with vocalists and instrumentalists who are keen masters of their craft. His esteem for them was obvious by his gracious acknowledgements which surpassed the usual obligatory nod that a band receives from a "star" musician. The other cool thing is that the whole band dresses in black suits and ties, which communicates class as well as respect for the audience and the art. Definitely NOT country! (Not that there's anything wrong with country...Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw or Steve Holy in small doses is quite tolerable, right DK?)

For a REAL - and profusely positive - review of the new release, check out this article at Pop Matters.

If you have not yet experienced Lyle, begin with "Lyle Lovett and His Large Band," a 1989 release...move onto "Smile," a compilation of jazz tunes he recorded for movies...then check out his rockabilly/gospel album, "My Baby Don't Tolerate." "Step Inside This House" is essential. Although the songs are not his own, but those of other Texas singer-songwriters including Townes VanZandt & Guy Clark, it is excellent...very folksy.

Alright, already! Enough about Lyle...ENJOY!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DK says: "small doses"? is certainly 'tolerable', but large quantities are more desirable!

btw...are you writing twice a day? Amazing...

Lori Waggoner said...

Remember the earlier post which said that since I'm not working I can do laundry, clean house...blah, blah, blah...?

Well, I think I've made THIS my new job...writing for the oblivion that is "blogosphere"! Funny how I can't seem to find a job that will pay money...hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

yeah and I am making it my part time job to read what you write! We are suffering:) or reaping the benefits...