Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Giving Credit Where It's Due

I don't want to be remiss in giving credit to those "teachers" by which I have obtained my information and views regarding classical composition:

Copia: Foundations of the Abundant Style - Erasmus (1512)

"Classical Composition" curriculum - Jim Selby (2003)

Composition in the Classical Tradition - Frank D'Angelo (2000, Allyn & Bacon)

Composition & Rhetoric for Higher Schools - Lockwood & Emerson (1902 Athenaeum Press)

Silvae Rhetoricae - an internet site hosted by Brigham Young University

60 Ways to Turn a Phrase - Arthur Quinn (1982)

Of course, these sources are largely derivative from the Ancients (Aphthonius, Aristotle, Cicero, Isocrates, etc.....), as well as from Medievalists (Augustine, Bede, Boethius...). And, I might add, there are a host of other brilliant resources - some which I have studied and some which I have only perused - but those listed above have been most formative for me thus far.

No comments: